Sunday, November 4, 2007

Curves Adjustment

OK, OK, I did not read carefully enough. I jumped up on my soapbox a little too quickly.

It IS true that the owner and founder of Curves gives money to anti-choice charities, some of which are described as militant. But apparently it can't be shown that the money comes directly from Curves as a company itself, only that Gary Heavin (the owner and founder of Curves) as a private citizen donates large amounts of money to anti-choice organizations.

Harumph. I guess that makes me feel a little better; I'm glad my money isn't necessarily going directly to anti-choice groups, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion about things. But in my heart of hearts, I have to admit that anyone who isn't pro-choice sort of bothers me on a fundamental level (heh heh pardon the pun!). I've known people who are pro-choice who don't believe in abortion. That's fine - what that bothers me is people who believe that OTHERS don't have a right to choose for themselves. Especially men making those choices for and/or about women.

Besides, Hip-Hop Abs and Yoga Booty Ballet are much more fun to do and I can exercise in the comfort and safety of my own home :). I think I'm going to cancel the subscription anyway!

2 comments:

Stephen Parrish said...

I cancelled my subscription.

Seriously, if the owner gets his money from Curves which gets its money from you, guess who's supporting the anti-choice people.

Pro-choice is losing ground in the U.S. especially as the religious right grows stronger. I'm afraid I'll see Roe v. Wade overturned in my lifetime.

CorStory76 said...

Yup...that's pretty much the connection I'm making; it doesn't matter if he donates money as a company or as an individual; I don't want my money anywhere near anti-choice groups!